Friday, June 6, 2014

The Oak Tree

My favorite tree in the world sat upon a hill near my house.  I lived in the country, and much of my landscape consisted of fields and empty dirt roads.  I had a few siblings, but I liked to keep to myself.  I’d spend my time wandering through barns and old buildings, fighting off evil and creating an adventure around every corner. But my favorite pastime was to take in the world from the Oak tree on the hill.

Now sitting atop one of the great tree’s branches, I observed the surrounding countryside. With sunset in the distance, orange exploded in every direction.  The brilliantly colored leaves rustled softly as the cool Autumn breeze surrounded me.

This was where I felt the most like myself.  The Oak tree reminded me of my fondest memories, and inspired some of my greatest dreams.  I came here when I was filled with sorrow to let it spill into the wind, or when I was most happy so I could share it with my world.  It didn’t matter my mood, I loved this place all the same.

But then one evening, as I tried to sleep through the sound of howling wind and pounding rain, I was startled to my feet by a sound I’ll not soon forget.

Without warning or explanation, a bolt of molten energy twisted wildly through the air.  From the dark clouds to my beloved tree, a flash catalyzing flame.

I ran up the hill the next morning. However, after reaching the top, my knees gave way, and I fell to the ground in tears.  My tree had vanished; my dreams shattered.

As hot streams fell from my face, I found it impossible to move. I realized it wasn’t that I couldn’t move, but that I didn't want to.  My adventuring ceased out of effect of emotional paralysis.  My tree never grew back, and neither did I.

No comments:

Post a Comment